Investor Privacy Notice
* This is a working document and policies are subject to change without notice.
IPG is responsible for personal information under its control and shall designate an individual or individuals who are accountable for compliance with privacy principles.
2. Identifying Purposes
The purpose(s) for which personal information is collected from all clients shall be identified at or before the time the information is collected.
The knowledge and consent of the client are required for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, except for legal or security reasons.
4. Limiting Collection
The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the client or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. All client information/files should remain in a secure location at all times.
IPG and its representatives shall make readily available to all clients specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
9. Client Access
Upon request, a client shall be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of his or her personal information and shall be given access to that information. A client shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
10. Challenging Compliance
* All references made to "Independent Planning Group Inc or IPG Insurance Inc." (IPG) includes: all IPG officers & directors, managers, employees, registered representatives, insurance agents, advisors, associates (and their employees).
2. PURPOSE FOR COLLECTING PERSONAL INFORMATION: When you complete account documentation such as a New Client Application Form, an Independent Planning Group Inc. Know-Your-Client Form (KYC Form), Independent Planning Group Inc. Account Change or New Investment Application Form, insurance company application form or fund company application form, you are providing personal information and thereby providing consent to collect, hold, disclose and use personal information to Independent Planning Group Inc. and/or IPG Insurance, including, where applicable, information concerning your spouse and beneficiary in order to:
- open a new insurance or investment account with Independent Planning Group Inc., IPG Insurance, mutual fund company, insurance company;
- assist your mutual fund advisor or life insurance agent in creating a financial plan for you;
- make a new investment or contribute to an existing investment;
- redeem monies from an existing investment;
- apply for additional insurance coverage or amend existing insurance coverage.
3. COLLECTING, HOLDING, USING AND DISCLOSING PERSONAL INFORMATION IN YOUR CLIENT RECORD: Independent Planning Group Inc., IPG Insurance, or one of its mutual fund advisors, life insurance agents (or one of their employees) may collect, hold and use the personal information in your client record as well as collect personal information from or disclose your personal information to third parties identified in section 4 for the following purposes:
- identifying you and ensuring the accuracy of information contained in your client record;
- assisting your financial advisor or insurance agent in determining the suitability of your investments or life policy;
- assisting a mutual fund company or life insurance company with establishing and administering your account;
- facilitating a transaction with a mutual fund company or insurance company;
- fixing errors on your accounts at Independent Planning Group Inc., a mutual fund company or an insurance company;
- providing you and your financial advisor or insurance agent with investment account statements, life insurance policy details, transaction confirmations and other information which you or your financial advisor or insurance agent may request as needed to service your accounts;
- meeting legal and regulatory requirements;
6. LOCATION OF CLIENT RECORD: Your client record may be kept in electronic format at Independent Planning Group Inc., IPG Insurance, or one of its mutual fund advisor or life insurance agent’s offices. Paper records forming part of your client record may be kept at Independent Planning Group Inc., at one of several branch offices of Independent Planning Group Inc., and/or at a related mutual fund company or life insurance company. Client records may also be kept in offsite storage and these may be transferred to other locations for disaster recovery purposes.
7. RIGHT TO ACCESS AND AMEND PERSONAL INFORMATION RECORDS: Except in limited circumstances prescribed by the Protection of Personal Information and Electronic Documents Act and similar provincial privacy protection legislation, you are entitled to access, through a written request, the personal information contained in your client record. Please contact your advisor or life insurance agent to obtain personal information in your client record. You may verify this information and request that any inaccurate information be corrected.
8. CHANGES TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Please inform Independent Planning Group Inc., IPG Insurance Inc., your mutual fund advisor or life insurance agent of any change in the personal information that you have provided by contacting your financial advisor or insurance agent at the phone number or email address that he/she has provided to you.